Tritchindoor [Tiruchendur] Pagoda. The great pyramidal tower over gateway
Photographer: Lyon, Edmund David
Medium: Photographic print
Print from an album of 41 albumen prints by Edmund David Lyon. The temple of Tiruchendur, on the coast of Tamil Nadu, is dedicated to Subrahmanya (Murugan).
The original shrine was hewn out of the rock in the 9th or 10th century in the reign of the Pandyan kings. Lyon explained in his 'Notes to Accompany a Series of Photographs Prepared to Illustrate the Ancient Architecture of Southern India' (Marion & Co., London, 1870), edited by James Fergusson, that this photograph: 'represents a view of the Pyramidal Tower over the entrance; it is a very large and lofty one, and forms a landmark to vessels passing many miles out at sea. On account of the porch before it, the tower cannot be seen from the front or east side, and the view has been taken from the west side, which is so much buried in sand that the base cannot be seen'.