Print from an album of 41 albumen prints by Edmund David Lyon. The temple of Tiruchendur, on the coast of Tamil Nadu, is dedicated to Subrahmanya (also known as Murugan, Skanda, Kartikkeya), the son of Shiva and Parvati. The original shrine was carved out of the rock in the 9th or 10th century in the reign of the Pandyan kings. Lyon's 'Notes to Accompany a Series of Photographs Prepared to Illustrate the Ancient Architecture of Southern India' (Marion & Co., London, 1870), edited by James Fergusson, gives the following description of this photograph: '...There are two colonnaded passages in front of this gateway tower...The principal one is shown in the photograph...The porch at the other entrance appears never to have been roofed, being now only thatched with grass. The pillars are carved with representations of the Ramnad Rajahs, but covered thickly with plaster. Here it is that the marriage ceremony between Shiva and Parvati is yearly commenced...'