Print from an album of 41 albumen prints by Edmund David Lyon. The temple of Tiruchendur, on the coast of Tamil Nadu, is dedicated to Subrahmanya (Murugan). It is here that the youthful god of war is supposed to have vanquished the demon Surapadman. The original shrine was hewn out of the rock in the 9th or 10th century in the reign of the Pandyan kings. Lyon's 'Notes to Accompany a Series of Photographs Prepared to Illustrate the Ancient Architecture of Southern India' (Marion & Co., London, 1870), edited by James Fergusson, gives the following description of this close-up view of the massive wooden door at the base of the temple gopuram, 'The fine Doors under the Tower, of which one section is shown in the Photograph, are composed of black wood and iron. They are about six inches thick, and nearly twenty feet high. They are kept constantly shut to prevent the wind (the Brahmins say) from driving the sand through and filling up the front of the temple. There is a small porch between the gateway and the entrance to the sanctum, which latter is completely buried in the sand, the flat roof even often being covered.'