Tanjore Pagoda. The Subramanya Temple. North facade and stone trough
Photographer: Lyon, Edmund David
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Subramanya Temple in the Brihadishvara Temple compex in Thanjavur, Tamil Nadu from the 'Photographs to Illustrate the Ancient Architecture of Southern India' collection, taken by Edmund David Lyon in c. 1868. Thanjavur was established and used by the Chola rulers in the 9th-12th centuries; it later became a Nayaka stronghold in the 16th-17th centuries and was also used by the Marathas in the 18th century. The Brihadishvara Temple was built in the 9th century and is one of the great achievements of the Chola era. This monumental temple stands in the middle of a large rectangular courtyard surrounded by smaller shrines. North-west of the main shrine there is a temple dedicated to Subrahmanya which dates to the 17th century and is seen in this photograph. The walls have carved basement mouldings and the parapet and tower are decorated with plaster-covered brickwork. This is a close view of the north side of the temple, showing the stone trough in the foreground and sculpture and moulding details behind.