Photograph of the Palace at Thanjavur in Tamil Nadu from the 'Photographs to Illustrate the Ancient Architecture of Southern India' collection, taken by Edmund David Lyon c. 1868. Thanjavur was established and used by the Chola rulers in the 9th-12th centuries; it later became a Nayaka stronghold in the 16th-17th centuries and was also used by the Marathas in the 18th century. The Palace at Thanjavur was built by the Nayakas in the early 17th century and was later enlarged by the Marathas. As a result, it employs a mix of Nayaka and Maratha architectural styles where the main structures are arranged around a series of courtyards with cylindrical columns and square capitals. This photograph depicts the six-storeyed façade that adorns the east side of the Palace. The large rectangular windows and plasterwork are easily identifiable as following the Maratha decorative style.