Photograph of carvings at Thanjavur Palace in Tamil Nadu, from the 'Photographs to Illustrate the Ancient Architecture of Southern India' collection, taken by Edmund David Lyon c. 1868. Thanjavur was established and used by the Chola rulers in the 9th-12th centuries; it later became a Nayaka stronghold in the 16th-17th centuries and was also used by the Marathas in the 18th century. The Palace at Thanjavur was built by the Nayakas in the early 17th century and was later enlarged by the Marathas. As a result, it employs a mix of Nayaka and Maratha architectural styles where the main structures are arranged around a series of courtyards with cylindrical columns and square capitals. This photograph is a close view of the façade on the north side of the quadrangle in front of the audience chamber, showing balcony windows supported on elaborately carved brackets. Lyon wrote, "The private Hall of Audience forms the west side of a square, the north side being occupied by the base of the curious pyramidal tower, here represented...The two lower storeys shown in the Photograph are probably the oldest part of the palace now existing, and as originally erected were architecturally the best."