Photograph of the full-length statue of Raja Sivaji in the Palace at Thanjavur in Tamil Nadu, from the 'Photographs to Illustrate the Ancient Architecture of Southern India' collection, taken by Edmund David Lyon c. 1868. Thanjavur was established and used by the Chola rulers in the 9th-12th centuries; it later became a Nayaka stronghold in the 16th-17th centuries and was also used by the Marathas in the 18th century. The Palace at Thanjavur was built by the Nayakas in the early 17th century and was later enlarged by the Marathas. As a result, it employs a mix of Nayaka and Maratha architectural styles where the main structures are arranged around a series of courtyards with cylindrical columns and square capitals. This photograph depicts the statue of the late Raja Sivaji (r. 1659–80) that is situated in the audience chamber. It is executed in white marble and was designed by an unidentified European artist.