Tarputry [Tadpatri]. The new temple [Venkataramana Temple]. Details of carvings on base of temple
Photographer: Lyon, Edmund David
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the carvings at the base of the sanctuary tower of the Venkataramana Temple at Tadpatri, Andhra Pradesh from the 'Photographs to Illustrate the Ancient Architecture of Southern India' collection, taken by Edmund David Lyon in c. 1868. The Venkataramana Temple complex was built in the mid-16th century during the Vijayanagara period. It is entered through a tall gopura on the east side of a rectangular colonnade. The outer walls of the main temple and the mandapa are decorated with sculptures set between pilasters, representing episodes from the Krishna and Ramayana legends as well as rearing mythical animals with riders and female devotees carved in the round. Of this photograph, Lyon wrote: 'This view shows the South Façade of the sanctuary, which has a small tower over it. The base is of a hard hornblend stone, and well carved. From its sculpture, it is apparent that it is dedicated to the worship of Vishnu. The monkey-god, it will be observed, appears everywhere.'