Town Hall, Calcutta
Photographer: Fiebig, Frederick
Medium: Photographic print
A hand-coloured print of Town Hall, Calcutta, from the Fiebig Collection: Views of Calcutta and Surrounding Districts, taken by Frederick Fiebig in 1851. The Town Hall, in Esplanade Row Calcutta, was paid for by lottery money and designed by John Garstin of the Engineers. Completed in 1813 the building was the site of official public functions and entertainments, which had previously been held in the Old Court House. A classical building with Doric colonnades, it now houses the Calcutta museum.