The Ice House, Calcutta
Photographer: Fiebig, Frederick
Medium: Photographic print
A hand-coloured print of Ice House, Calcutta, from the Fiebig Collection: Views of Calcutta and Surrounding Districts, taken by Frederick Fiebig in 1851. Ice Houses were built in Calcutta, Bombay and Madras by Fredric Tudor, a merchant from Boston, who first brought ice to India in 1833 on a ship called 'The Clipper Tuscany'. Later ice was produced in India by the steam process and the ice houses were no longer needed to store the ice imported from America. The Ice House in Madras is the only one of the three buildings still standing .