The Maidan, Calcutta, from Government House
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph from the Vibart Collection, of the Maidan at Calcutta taken by an unknown photographer about 1865. The Maidan, a large grassy open space, originally cleared for military purposes, allows a clear view of the public buildings and large private houses along Esplanade Row and Chowringhee Road from the River Hooghly. This view looks south east from Government House, across the Maidan towards Chowringhee Road, with the Durrumtollah Tank (water supply) on the left. One of the four ceremonial gateways to Government House, based on designs for Adam's archways at Syon House in Middlesex, is in the foreground on the left.