Tank in Walkeshwar, Bombay.
Photographer: Johnson and Henderson
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of a view of the Walukeshwar temple in Maharashtra from the 'Vibart Collection of Views in South India' taken by an unknown photographer about 1855. The kings of the Silhara dynasty who ruled Bombay from the 9th to the 13th Centuries originally built Walkeshar Temple which is situated on Malabar hill. However it was rebuilt in 1715 after the Portuguese destroyed the original temple. The temple is dedicated to the Hindu deity Walukeshwar (Lord Shiva) or Sand Lord. The tank dates from 1715 and was built by Rama Kamath.