The Taj Bowry or Crown Well, Beejapore.
Photographer: Hinton, Henry
Medium: Photographic print
A photograph of a view of the ruins of Bijapur showing the fortifications from the 'Vibart Collection of Views in South India' taken by Henry Hinten about 1860. 'Like the Nizam Shahis, the Adil Shahis were familiar with Middle Eastern systems of water management. A major channel flowing from Nauraspur to Bijapur, joined by others from nearby dams, fed the moat that runs around the citadel as well as a series of tanks and ponds. Water was conducted through partly rock-cut and vaulted aqueducts where it was regulated by regularly spaced ventilation towers. Water shortage occasionally took on a monumental expression. The Taj Bauri and Chand Bauri, located just inside the Mecca and Shahpur gates respectively, consist of large square reservoirs overlooked by arcades. Flights of steps descending to the water in both examples are bridged by broad arches. The arch of the Taj Bauri is buttressed by minaret-like towers capped with domical finials. The 750 m-long dam at Shahpur, midway between Bijapur and Nauraspur, has a central sluice gate designed as an imposing portal with double-storeyed arcades.