The Lake, Ootacamund.
Medium: Photographic print
A photograph of a view of Ootacamund Lake from the 'Vibart Collection of Views in South India' taken by an unknown photographer about 1855. Ootacamund, popularly known as ‘Ooty’ was the summer headquarters of the government of Madras from 1861 onwards. The town itself is sited around an artificial lake in the Nilgiri Hills at a height of 2,267 metres (7,440 feet). The houses were typically English and approached by narrow lanes bordered by acclimatised plants. It rapidly became a popular sanatorium and retreat for invalids.