The Sutar-ki-Jhonpri [Visvakarma] Cave, Ellora
Photographer: Dayal, Deen
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the exterior of the Vishvakarma cave at Ellora, taken by Deen Dayal in the 1880s, from the Curzon Collection: 'Views of HH the Nizam's Dominions, Hyderabad, Deccan, 1892'. The site of Ellora is known for its outstanding series of Hindu, Buddhist and Jain cave temples excavated into the rocky façade of a basalt cliff. The works were carried out under the patronage of the Kalachuri, the Chalukya and the Rashtrakuta dynasties between the 6th and 9th centuries. This cave, known as Vishvakarma after the architect of the gods, dates to the 7th century and is one of the latest rock-cut Buddhist Chaityas in Western India. The elaborate façade at the end of large open court has a pillared verandah which admits into the long interior with an open gallery above. This is a view of a facade carved with a number of figures.