Tennis Tournament, Naini Tal, 1899
Medium: Photographic print
View of the tennis courts at Naini Tal with a match in progress, from the Macnabb Collection (Col James Henry Erskine Reid): Album of Indian Views, taken by an unknown photographer in 1899. The area of the Kumaon Hills had come under British rule after the Anglo-Nepal War (1814-16) but it wasn't until 1841 that P. Barron built the first European house in Nainital. The town became the summer headquarters of the colonial administration of the province. It was a popular retreat for the residents of the plains. Being popular with the British, the town developed a British character with several European schools, barracks and a sanatorium. After the landslip of September 1880, a recreation ground known as 'The Flats' was built on the destroyed site.