The Palace of Dilkusha whence Sir Colin Campbell advanced to the Relief of Lucknow, November 1857.
Photographer: Dayal, Deen
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Palace of Dilkusha in Lucknow from the 'Earl of Jersey collection' taken by Deen Dayal in the 1880s. Dilkusha was built by Nawab Saadat Ali Khan (r.1798-1814) as a hunting lodge. During the Uprising of 1857 Indian sepoys sieged the Residency complex at Lucknow where 3000 British residents and loyal Indians were trapped for five months before the arrival of troops. Diluksha, was used by Sir Colin Campbell, the British Commander-in-Chief, as a headquarters when reliving the Residency, the siege was finally ended by his troops on 17 November 1857. Sir Colin Campbell used the Diluksha again in March 1858 when making the final assault upon Lucknow.