The Cenotaph, Barrackpore Park
Medium: Photographic print
This photograph of the Temple of Fame from the 'Walter Hawkins Nightingale (PWD) collection: Album of views of Calcutta, was taken by an unknown photographer in the late 1870s. Built in 1813 by Captain George Rodney Blane, this cenotaph is located in Barrackpore, approximately 24 km north of Calcutta along the Hoogly river. It was built in commemoration of the soldiers lost during the conquest of Java and Mauritius in 1810-1811.