The Delhi Gate, Agra Fort.
Photographer: Baker, William Henry
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Delhi Gate at the Agra Fort, taken by William Henry Baker in the 1806s, from the Edward Molyneux Collection: Album entitled 'Indian Photographs.' The complex stands on the banks of the Yamuna and was commenced by the Emperor Akbar (r.1556-1605) between 1565 and 1573. Built principally as a military establishment on the site of an earlier walled complex, the fort is considered the predecessor of the Delhi Red Fort. The main entrance is on the western side and consists of an outer Delhi Gate and an impressive inner gateway, the Hathi Pol (Elephant Gate). This was originally guarded by two huge stone elephants later removed by the Emperor Aurangzeb (r.1658-1707). The massive walls of the fort, built of red sandstone, are 21m high and 2.5km long with curved bastions at intervals.