Temple opposite Kumarapala's [Satrunjaya]
Photographer: Sykes and Dwyer
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the temple opposite Kumarapala's at Satrunjaya from James Burgess, 'The Temples of Satrunjaya, the celebrated Jain place of pilgrimage...' by Skyes and Dwyer in 1869. Satrunjaya is an ancient Jain place of pilgrimage where it is believed that Adinatha, the first Jain Tirthankara visited several times and his disciple Pundarika obtained enlightenment. There are many hundreds of multi-spired temples on the two summits of the hill in the town of Palitana, Gujarat. The sanctuaries are grouped in fortified enclosures or tuks, named after their founders. The temple in this view is elaborately decorated with sculptures and the sanctuary is covered by a spire made of a cluster of miniature spires.