Temple of Adisvara Bhagavana from the South-west [Satrunjaya]
Photographer: Sykes and Dwyer
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of Satrunjaya from James Burgess, 'The Temples of Satrunjaya, the celebrated Jain place of pilgrimage...' by Skyes and Dwyer in 1869. Satrunjaya is an ancient Jain place of pilgrimage where it is believed that Adinatha, the first Jain Tirthankara visited several times and his disciple Pundarika obtained enlightenment. There are many hundreds of multi-spired temples on the two summits of the hill in the town of Palitana, Gujarat. The sanctuaries are grouped in fortified enclosures or tuks, named after their founders. The Adishvara Bhagavana temple is an imposing structure that dominates the south ridge of the Satrunjaya Hill and consists of a double-storey mandapa surrounded by little cells or shrines. This view shows the rising tower made by clusters of miniature spires.