Temple in the South-east corner of the chaok of Adinatha [Satrunjaya]
Photographer: Sykes and Dwyer
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of Satrunjaya from James Burgess, 'The Temples of Satrunjaya, the celebrated Jain place of pilgrimage...' by Skyes and Dwyer in 1869. Satrunjaya is an ancient Jain place of pilgrimage where it is believed that Adinatha, the first Jain Tirthankara visited several times and his disciple Pundarika obtained enlightenment. There are many hundreds of multi-spired temples on the two summits of the hill in the town of Palitana, Gujarat. The sanctuaries are grouped in fortified enclosures or tuks, named after their founders. This is a view of the numerous small shrines in the court of Adinatha. According to Burgess, "The number of images, pairs of feet, etc. in this single enclosure is recokned at nearly five thousand."