Photograph of the Kalika Mata Temple at of the interior of the Hira Gate at Dabhoi in Gujarat, taken by James Burgess in 1874. Dabhoi is an ancient town that was fortified by the Solanki Rajputs from the 12th century. The fort was built in the 13th century by the Vaghela king of Patan, or Anhilvada, following the shastric traditions described in the Vastu scriptures. There are four gates in each cardinal direction. In the 'Report on the Antiquities of Kathiawad and Kachh of 1874-75', Burgess wrote, "Original portions... of the four [gates] still remain,- they have only been repaired or partially rebuilt, and Muhammadan arches substituted for the old Rajput mode of spanning the aperture by corbelling inwards by means of a series of carved brackets supporting long stone lintels above...the brackets, lintels, and upper portions of the side walls have all been elaborately carved with mythological figures and architectural ornament...The Hira gate, on the east, is often called the "Gate of Diamonds". The Kali Temple was built in 1255 next to the east gate, the Hira Gate, the most exquisitely carved. The mandapa or hall of the has projecting balconies and the shrine houses a figure of the goddess on a marble altar. The outer walls are covered by sculptures of various Hindu divinities.