Temple and tirtha (holy tank), Sanwkhed
Photographer: Sykes, D.H.
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of temple and tirtha (holy tank) at Sanwkhed, taken by D.H. Sykes in 1875-6, from the Archaeological Survey of India. The Shiva temple dates between the 8th and 12th centuries and consists of a main hall supported by four pillars. Surrounding the hall are three antechambers. The antechamber on the back leads to Shiva linga. In his report of the operations in Western India in 1875-76 James Burgess wrote, 'Eighteen miles up the river from Paithan and at its junction with the Sivna is Sanvkheda, once evidently a place of considerable size, but now ruined and poor, with fragments of old temples, &c. all around it. In the river opposite, is a rocky islet on which is small math or monastery, the residence of an old ascetic, with a dharmasala on the bank; and below it, on the stream, a small solidly built temple of Narasimha, which is only accessible when the river is very low, and must be quite covered with water during the monsoon.'