Temple of Mahadeva from north-east, Patan (Patna), Khandesh District
Photographer: Cousens, Henry
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the temple of Mahadeva from north-east at Patan (Patna), Khandesh District, taken by Henry Cousens in the 1880s, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections. In the "Revised List of Antiquarian Remains in the Bombay Presidency", vol.VIII of 1987, Henry Cousens writes: "The temple of Mahesvara, the largest and most important, is built on the usual plan of shrine, mandapa, and porch, and faces east. Its sikhara, or tower, has gone. The exterior of the temple is profusely sculptured, and the pillars and doorway of the shrine have also been well chiselled. In the shrine, in the middle of the floor, is the linga, while in the middle of the back wall is a niche to hold a figure, with ornamental frame around it. There are several figures lying about which may originally have been placed in the various niches, among which are Siva, Parvati, Laksmi - Narayana, Surya, &c." There is an inscription slab with the date 1153-4.