Temple of Samprati Raja and Kumarapala from the south: old portion of the Temple of Samprati Raja and portico of the Kumarapala Temple, Girnar Hill, near Junagadh
Photographer: Sykes, D.H.
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Temples of Samprati Raja and Kumarapala, near Junagadh in Gujarat, for the Archaeological Survey of India, taken by D.H. Sykes in c.1869. Mount Girnar rises more than 900 m on the outskirts of Junagadh. It was an important pilgrimage centre since the 3rd century BC. The mountain is particularly sacred to the Jains but there are also several Hindu temples and a Muslim shrine. At a height of about 650 m there is a group of sixteen Jain sanctuaries dedicated to Neminatha. The temples were built in the 12th-13th centuries during the Solanki period and in later centuries. The temple of Samprati Raja was built in 1453, and the Kumarapala Temple was mostly rebuilt in the 19th century. This view shows the temple of Samprati Raja along with the portico of the the Kumarapala Temple.