The S.P.G. Mission School, [Mandalay]
Photographer: Archaeological Survey of India
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the S.P.G. Mission School at Mandalay in Burma (Myanmar), from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections: Burma Circle, 1903-07. The photograph was taken in 1903 under the direction of the Superintendent of the Archaeological Survey of Burma, a post held at the time by Taw Sein Ko. This is a general view of the school, which was run by the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel and attended by several princes of the Burmese royal family. It is a wood, bamboo and thatch building raised above the ground on posts using the pile construction technique of Burmese vernacular architecture. Reverend James Ebenezer Marks was missionary for the Society. Previously the headmaster of St. John’s College, Rangoon (Yangon), he was invited to Mandalay by King Mindon Min (ruled 1853-78) in 1869; the school dates from this period and was located outside the city walls to the west. In addition to the school, the king also built a church and clergy house for the Society.