The S.P.G. Mission Church, [Mandalay]
Photographer: Archaeological Survey of India
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the S.P.G. Mission Church at Mandalay in Burma (Myanmar), from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections: Burma Circle, 1903-07. The photograph was taken in 1903 under the direction of the Superintendent of the Archaeological Survey of Burma, a post held at the time by Taw Sein Ko. This is a general view of the church in Mandalay, which was built by King Mindon Min (ruled 1853-78) for the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel. The King also built a school and mission house for the Society. The church is an interesting building because it is designed in a gothic style but constructed almost entirely out of wood in kind with most Burmese architecture. Reverend James Ebenezer Marks was missionary for the Society. Previously the headmaster of St. John’s College, Rangoon (Yangon), he was invited to Mandalay by King Mindon Min (ruled 1853-78) in 1869.