The buildings between Audience Hall and Lily Throne Hall (western view), [Mandalay] 1004127b
Photographer: Archaeological Survey of India
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of buildings in the grounds of the Nandaw (Royal Palace) at Mandalay in Burma (Myanmar), from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections: Burma Circle, 1903-07. The photograph was taken by an unknown photographer in 1903 under the direction of Taw Sein Ko, the Superintendent of the Archaeological Survey of Burma at the time. The pavilions in this view stood in the palace grounds between the Great Hall of Audience and the Lily Throne Room. Following Burmese tradition the palace was built on an east-west axis, with the public state rooms on the east and the more private women’s quarters on the opposite face towards the rear. The Great Hall of Audience was situated at the eastern end of the palace facing the main city gate of Mandalay. It was crowned by the gold-plated seven-tiered spire or pyatthat known as the “Centre of the Universe”, which marked the sacred space of the Lion Throne room below and can be seen in the distance at right. The Lily Throne Room was situated in the Queen’s Audience Hall on the west face in the area occupied by the Chief Queen and other female members of the royal family. Founded in 1857, Mandalay was Burma’s last great royal capital. The Royal Palace stood at the centre of the walled city and was one of the first buildings to be constructed, re-using many parts of the teak buildings from the former capital Amarapura. The original palace was destroyed by fire during Allied bombing raids in 1945 during the Second World War but has since been partially reconstructed.