Tupayon Pagoda after repairs, [Sagaing].
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph from a series by the Archaeological Survey of Burma, including views of Burmese architecture, sculpture and relics, taken between 1907-13, and listed in the Annual Report of the Superintendent. View of Tupayon Pagoda in Sagaing. Mandalay in central Burma was the capital of the last Burmese kingdom. Clustered around it on the banks of the Irrawaddy (Ayeyarwady) river are other earlier capitals, such as Ava (Inwa), Amarapura and Sagaing. The latter, 21 kms south-west of Mandalay, is on the opposite bank of the river from Ava and has long been revered as the religious centre of Burma. Sagaing is popularly described as 'Little Pagan' since there are hundreds of stupas and monasteries at this site. Founded in 1315 by a Shan chieftain after the fall of Pagan (Bagan), it was capital for only a few decades before the kings shifted to Ava. Tupayon Paya was built in the mid-15th century by King Narapati of Ava (r.1443-1469). It is unusual in plan and consists of three circular levels embellished with arched niches housing small Buddha images. An earthquake in 1838 broke the superstructure; it was partially repaired in 1849 but never fully restored.