Photograph of the Tower of Victory at Chitorgarh in Rajasthan, taken by an unknown photographer for the Archaeological Survey of India Collections: Northern Circle (North-Western Provinces and Oudh) in 1896-97. The hill-top fortress of Chitor was ruled by the Guhilot (later Sisodia) Rajputs from the 8th to the 16th centuries. The buildings that survive today are mainly from the reign of Rana Kumbha (1433-1468) as the fort was invaded several times and earlier structures were destroyed. In 1567, the fort was sacked for the final time by the Mughal Emperor Akbar and Rana Udai Singh II abandoned Chitor for Udaipur, chosen as the new capital of the Mewar state. The Tower of Victory (Jaya Stambh) was constructed between 1458-1468 by Rana Kumbha to commemorate his victory over Mahmud Khilji of Malwa, in 1440. It rises approximately 37m in the air and consists of nine storeys that are reached by an interior staircase, with balconies and pierced stone screens throughout. The external walls are covered with Hindu sculptures and the dome at the top was damaged by lightning and repaired during the last century.