Photograph of the Mokalji Temple at Chitorgarh in Rajasthan, taken by an unknown photographer for the Archaeological Survey of India Collections: Northern Circle (North-Western Provinces and Oudh) in 1896-97. The hill-top fortress of Chitor was ruled by the Guhilot (later Sisodia) Rajputs from the 8th to the 16th centuries. The buildings that survive today are mainly from the reign of Rana Kumbha (1433-1468) as the fort was invaded several times and earlier structures were destroyed. In 1567, the fort was sacked for the final time by the Mughal Emperor Akbar and Rana Udai Singh II abandoned Chitor for Udaipur, chosen as the new capital of the Mewar state. H.B.W. Garrick described this temple in his Report of 1883-84, 'Amongst the temples on the Chitor Rock, perhaps the most excellent examples are those called Makal-ji-ke-mendar in the precinct of the Pillar of Victory...The general plan is a large hall forming the body of the building, to the east of which is a small, square, cell-like, dark chamber;...The temple of Mokal at Chitor is full of carvings...by far the finest sculptures...are sixteen bas-reliefs carved on octagonal bands of the eastern pair of pillars which support the domed ceiling of the Mahamandapa or great hall...'