The tank from the west, Varadarajaperumal Temple, Conjeeveram
Photographer: Archaeological Survey of India
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the tank of the Varadarajaperumal Temple at Kanchipuram, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections: Madras,1896-98. This temple is situated in the heart of Vishnu Kanchi, which represents the Vaishnava establishment of Kanchipuram. According to local tradition the temple commemorates the site where Brahma performed a fire-sacrifice to invoke the presence of Vishnu. The temple was expanded vastly during the Chola patronage in the 12th century and later in the 16th century came under Vijayanagara patronage when the two tall gopuras and many halls and pillared verandahs were added. The temple complex covers 20 acres and consists of five enclosures. This view shows the stepped tank with the shrine in the middle.