The Amman shrine, Ekambreswaraswami Temple, Conjeevaram
Photographer: Archaeological Survey of India
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Amman shrine in the Ekambreswaraswami Temple at Kanchipuram, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections: Madras, 1896-98. This is the largest and most important Shiva temple of Kanchipuram which dates mostly from the 16th-17th centuries. It is entered through a very tall pyramidal gateway or gopura almost 60 metres high, erected in 1509 by the Vijayanagara king Krishna deva Raya and covered with sculptural ornamentation. This leads to an open courtyard where there is the "thousand pillared hall" with elaborately carved columns. The hall faces a tank in the north and the shrine in the west which contains the Prithvi lingam of Shiva, representing the earth. A long corridor of receding piers surrounds the shrine.