Tatta, Karachi District, Sindh. Jami Masjid, façade
Photographer: Cousens, Henry
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the façade of the Jami Masjid at Thatta in the Karachi District of Sind in Pakistan, taken by Henry Cousens in 1896, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections: Western India 1894-96. The Jami Masjid at Thatta was built between 1644 and 1647 under the order of the Mughal Emperor Shah Jahan (r.1628-58). It is a heavy brick structure built on a stone plinth with square piers and walls. The entire structure is composed of a quadrangle with an liwan on the western side and a corresponding structure on the eastern side that forms the entrance, both covered in large domes. There are coloured tiles covering the walls inside the mosque. This view is from the court looking towards the central portion of the screen of the east façade of the mosque.