Tatta, Karachi District, Sindh. Jami Masjid, portion of central bay of façade
Photographer: Cousens, Henry
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Jami Masjid at Thatta in the Karachi District of Sind in Pakistan, taken by Henry Cousens, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections: Western India 1894-96. The Jami Masjid at Thatta was built between 1644 and 1647 under the order of the Mughal Emperor Shah Jahan (r.1628-58). It is a heavy brick structure built on a stone plinth with square piers and walls. The entire structure is composed of a quadrangle with an liwan on the western side and a corresponding structure on the eastern side that forms the entrance, both covered in large domes. There are coloured tiles covering the walls inside the mosque. This is a close view of the decorative tile work in the central bay of the mosque, reproduced in H.Cousens, 'The Antiquities of Sind', 1929, pl.LXI.