Tatta, Karachi District, Sindh. Jami Masjid, interior
Photographer: Cousens, Henry
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Jami Masjid at Thatta in the Karachi District of Sind in Pakistan, taken by Henry Cousens, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections: Western India 1894-96. The Jami Masjid at Thatta was built between 1644 and 1647 under the order of the Mughal Emperor Shah Jahan (r.1628-58). It is a heavy brick structure built on a stone plinth with square piers and walls. The entire structure is composed of a quadrangle with an liwan on the western side and a corresponding structure on the eastern side that forms the entrance, both covered in large domes. This is a view of the interior of the mosque showing the decorative tile work. Cousens wrote of this image in 'The Antiquities of Sind', of 1929, "plate LXI shows how the corners of the square chamber, below, are cut off to form the octagonal stage above".