Photograph of the back of the Dagbir Masjid at Thatta in the Karachi District of Sind, Pakistan, taken by Henry Cousens in 1896. This view of the ruined mosque is taken from the south-west. Cousens wrote in The Antiquities of Sind, "Upon the outskirts of the town, to the south, is the old brick mosque known as the Dabgir [sic]Masjid, which has been very badly ruined...It is, perhaps, the oldest mosque in the place, and may have been the older Jami Masjid in which Shah Jahan worshipped when he was at Thathah, as it dates back to A.D. 1588...The mosque measures 98 by 48 feet, and has three bays surmounted by one large and two small domes. It still contains some very fine coloured tile work; and the mihrab [prayer niche], which is of stone, covered with the most delicate tracery, is a superb piece of work. Like many of the older buildings in Sind, this one has suffered very much from the kalar or salt in the soil, which, when damp, rises through the porous brickwork and crystallizing, disintegrates the brickwork as far up as it reaches. This damage has of late been repaired with stone work which, with the plaster repairs over the top, is not very beautiful."