The Golden Pavilion in Agra Fort
Photographer: Dayal, Deen
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Mussaman Burj at Agra in Uttar Pradesh, India, from the Curzon Collection, taken by the Indian Photographer Lala Deen Dayal in the 1890s. The Mussaman Burj, also known as the Samman Burj (Jasmine Tower), is one of the palace apartments situated on the eastern side of the Agra Fort. The Fort was erected by the Mughal Emperor Akbar (r.1556-1605) between 1565 and 1573 on the west bank of the River Jumna. However, most of the principal buildings within were built by Emperor Shah Jahan (r.1628-58) between 1628 and 1637. The Mussaman Burj is a two-storey pavilion capped by an octagonal copper-domed cupola. The pavilion stands on a large circular bastion extending from the fort wall, giving magnificent views over the river. It is richly decorated with carved marble floral panels, pierced marble screens and inlaid pietra dura work. This is a view looking southwards along the fort wall towards the pavilion.