The Mandawi or old Palace [Vadodara]
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Mandawi or Old Palace, at Baroda, Gujarat from the Curzon Collection, taken by an unknown photographer during the 1890s. The palace was situated on a main street in the heart of Baroda’s old walled city, immediately in front of the Nazarbag palace and close to the Mandvi, an arched pavilion and clocktower which can be seen in the distance of this view. It was a large, labyrinthine haveli palace, built of wood with steep staircases, long balconies on the exterior façade and a narrow main entrance. After the completion of the Lakshmi Vilas Palace in 1890, the Old Palace was no longer used as a royal residence and subsequently housed offices, a school, a library and a guard house.