The Agency Bungalow, Bhurtpore
Photographer: Priyalall and Company
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph from the Curzon Collection, of the Agency Bungalow or Residency at Bharatpur, Rajasthan, taken by the studio of Priyalall & Company in c.1900. The Agency was composed of the three states of Bharatpur, Dholpur and Karauli, which were administered by a British Political Agent from 1855 until 1925. In 1897 its headquarters were transferred from Dholpur to Bharatpur. The bungalow is built in an Anglo-Indian architectural style. Originally a lightly-constructed, single-storey dwelling with a verandah, by the early 20th century the colonial bungalow had evolved to become an imposing, multi-storeyed residence as shown in this view.