The Anand High School, [Dhar]
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Anand High School at Dhar, Madhya Pradesh, taken by an unknown photographer in c.1902. Dhar in the Malwa region of central India has a long tradition of history encompassing both Hindu and Muslim rule. It was once the capital of the Hindu Paramara dynasty from the 9th to the 13th century. It was conquered by the Delhi Sultanate in the 14th century and then became part of the independent province of the Sultans of Malwa before passing to the Mughals in the 16th century. With the decline of the Mughal Empire, Dhar fell to the Marathas in the 1730s. In the early 19th century the Peshwa divided the territory of Malwa amongst his chieftains and Dhar was given to Anand Rao Punwar. It became a centre of resistance during the Uprising of 1857 after which it came under direct British control, although they granted it back to the Punwars in 1860. It remained a princely state until merged with independent India in 1948. The Anand High School was originally opened as an English School in 1854, and followed the opening in 1850 of a Persian school, the first public school at Dhar. It was raised to the status of a High School in 1872 following the creation of a State Department of Education. The school taught secondary and middle education and prepared boys for the entrance examination of the Allahabad University. This view shows the arcaded front façade of the building, designed in an Anglo-Indian architectural style.