The Chhatris, [Dhar]
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of cenotaphs or Chhattris at Dhar in Madhya Pradesh, from the Curzon Collection, taken by an unknown photographer in c.1902. Dhar in the Malwa region of central India was once the capital of the Hindu Paramara dynasty, known for their patronage of literature from the 9th to the 13th century. It was conquered by the Delhi Sultanate in the 14th century and then became part of the independent province of the Sultans of Malwa before passing to the Mughals in the 16th century. With the decline of the Mughal Empire, Dhar fell to the Marathas in the 1730s. In the early 19th century the Peshwa divided the territory of Malwa amongst his chieftains and Dhar was given to Anand Rao Punwar. It continued as a princely state till 1948. With its history, Dhar has many examples of funerary architecture, both Hindu and Muslim. The Chhatri Bagh is a walled garden enclosure containing cenotaphs of rulers of Dhar, which take the form of pavilions (chhatris) set on plinths and crowned with elaborate domes.