The Mahabat Mukbara (containing the tombs of their late Highnesses Mahabatkhanji and Bahadurkhanji) [Junagadh]
Photographer: Solankee Studio
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph from the Curzon Collection: 'Presented with feelings of friendship and sincere admiration to Lord Curzon of Kedleston, Viceroy and Governor-General of India, by H.H. Rasulkhanji, Navab Junagadha. 1900', of the Mahabat Mukbara at Junagadh, Gujarat, taken by the Solankee Studio, in c.1900. Junagadh was ruled by the Muslim Babi dynasty, established in c.1735 by Sher Khan Babi. Their tombs, known as maqbara, are situated within the city walls in two groups dating from the 18th and 19th centuries, and are some of the most extraordinary and unusual buildings in Gujarat. This is a view of the mausoleum of the Nawabs Mahabat Khanji II (ruled 1851-1882) and Bahadur Khanji II (ruled 1882-1892), which has a finely carved façade crowned with a forest of onion domes.