The Mahabat Madressa [Junagadh]
Photographer: Solankee Studio
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph from the Curzon Collection: 'Presented with feelings of friendship and sincere admiration to Lord Curzon of Kedleston, Viceroy and Governor-General of India, by H.H. Rasulkhanji, Navab Junagadha. 1900', of the Mahabat Madressa at Junagadh, Gujarat, taken by the Solankee Studio, Rajkot, in c.1900. Junagadh was ruled by a Muslim dynasty established in c.1735 by Sher Khan Babi, a soldier of fortune. Among the religious schools in the state was the Madressa, an Islamic theological and scientific college, built under the patronage of the Nawab Mahabat Khan II (ruled 1851-1882). Its arcaded façade is designed in an Indo-Saracenic style which combines western and eastern forms. This style was often used for public buildings constructed in India in the later 19th-century.