The Bahadurkhanji High School [Junagadh]
Photographer: Solankee Studio
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph from the Curzon Collection: 'Presented with feelings of friendship and sincere admiration to Lord Curzon of Kedleston, Viceroy and Governor-General of India, by H.H. Rasulkhanji, Navab Junagadha. 1900', of the Bahadurkhanji High School at Junagadh, Gujarat, taken by the Solankee Studio, Rajkot, in c.1900. In 1853 the Nawab of Junagadh, Mahabat Khan II (ruled 1851-1882) agreed to subscribe funds for Western-style education within the state in conjunction with the Bombay Board of Education. The High School was started in Junagadh in 1873 under the Nawab’s patronage and was the State’s sole high school at the time. It was built by the Department of Public Works in an Indo-Saracenic style, with an arcaded façade and a curved bangaldar-style roof over the entrance portico.