The Bazar and the Ayna Mahel [Junagadh]
Photographer: Solankee Studio
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph from the Curzon Collection: 'Presented with feelings of friendship and sincere admiration to Lord Curzon of Kedleston, Viceroy and Governor-General of India, by H.H. Rasulkhanji, Navab Junagadha. 1900', of the Bazaar and the Ayana Mahal, at Junagadh, Gujarat, taken by the Solankee Studio, Rajkot, in c.1900. They date from the mid to late 19th century, when Junagadh was developed and improved with a series of new palaces, public buildings and parks, notably during the reign of Nawab Mahabat Khan II (ruled 1851-1882). The new bazaar was designed as an elegant arcaded terrace leading to huge arched gateways, shown at left in this view. Adjacent is the western side of the Ayana Mahal or Palace of Mirrors, part of the Nawab’s palace.