This photograph of the Government Museum, Bangalore taken in the 1890s by an unknown photographer, is from the Curzon Collection's 'Souvenir of Mysore Album'.The Museum was established by Dr E Balfour in 1865, and the building was completed in 1877. The entrance hall contains several specimens of ancient stone carvings, two of which are of special interest, one from Begur illustrates the former wars of the country. The date assigned to it is AD 1850. The other is dated AD 925. The halebid Temples are also represented by a few carvings supposed to be over a thousand years old. There is a fine cabinet with Roman coins ranging from BC 21 to AD 51, and are thus about 1900 years old. Mysore is represented by coins dating from AD 1578 to 1843, and there are trophies of the arms and armour used in the days of Haidar Ali and Tipu Sultan.