The Great Mosque, Seringapatam.
Medium: Photographic print
This photograph of the Great Mosque, Srirangapatnam taken in the 1890s by an unknown photographer, is from the Curzon Collection's 'Souvenir of Mysore Album'.The note from the Album tells us, "This mosque with tall minarets, which owing to the flatness of the country are conspicuous from a great distance, was erected by Tipu. It was here on the 23rd February, 1792, that Tipu assembled all the principal officers and sought their advice before signing the treaty surrendering his two sons as hostages to Lord Cornwallis." At the end of the Third Mysore War, the British exacted a long-list of tenets from Tipu, including the handing over of his two sons. In February 1794, upon fulfilment of the Treaty, the young princes, having been treated most favourably, returned to Seringapatam.