The Mausoleum of Haidar and Tipu, Ganjam.
Medium: Photographic print
This photograph of the Mausoleum of Haidar and Tipu, Ganjam taken in the 1890s by an unknown photographer, is from the Curzon Collection's 'Souvenir of Mysore Album'. Haidar Ali (1722-1782) and his son Tipu Sultan (1750-1799), two great rulers and Indian Nationalists, were indomitable opponents of the colonial regime and fiercely resisted British expansionist policy. Tipu, also known as "The Tiger of Mysore", died in battle against the British in 1799 at Seringapatam. "The mausoleum or gumbaz was built by Tipu Sultan for his father. It is a square building of stone, surmounted by a dome, and surrounded by a colonnade of polished pillars of black hornblende. The interior is painted in lacquer with the tiger stripe. The doors, which are double, are of ebony, inlaid with ivory", reads the caption accompanying this photograph.